Not seeing the correct location?
  • Click the weather box above. A new browser tab (or window) should open and display the Accuweather website.
  • Type your zip code or City, State and press enter.
  • Select your town.
  • Close the Accuweather browser tab (or window).
Reload the Chronicle website and your location should be correct.
Close these instructions.

Connecticut remembers: Murphy delivers special Veterans Day message

By ELIZABETH MACAULEY

Chronicle Staff Writer

STORRS — Veterans Day has been a symbolic day for the past century for recognizing those who have devoted their lives to our country and the freedoms we all know and enjoy.

To recognize veterans this year, U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., joined the Office of Veterans Affairs and Military Programs at the University of Connecticut for the university’s annual Veterans Day ceremony Friday morning.

“It’s the honor of my life to serve this great state that’s been so intertwined in the armed forces,” Murphy said. “Connecticut has really been at the heart of the story of our nation’s military.”

Connecticut was an essential part of our country’s origins, Murphy said.

“It’s important to remind this country and, especially, younger generations, that the blanket of freedom they have has not come without enormous sacrifice,” Murphy said. “For every soldier killed in Afghanistan, 16 others come home with wounds that would have killed them in previous wars.”

The nation needs a bigger commitment to physical wounds, post-traumatic stress disorder and other brain injuries, Murphy said. “PTSD and brain injuries are happening more and more,” Murphy said. “We need to give care earlier than ever before.”

Murphy also emphasized the importance of remembering that soldiers are currently deployed all over the world for our country.

“We have Americans all over the world fighting a shadowy enemy that is much different than enemies we have had before,” Murphy said. “It’s also important to remember that we have 1 percent of Americans fighting to protect the other 99 percent.”

Veterans Day is also about recognizing veterans in all past conflicts and wars.

“Today it’s important to recognize the heroic self-sacrifice of all veterans,” said Brig. Gen. Ralph Hedenberg. “All veterans, including those that served in World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Iraq and Afghanistan shared the same sacrifice.”

Murphy drew attention to veterans who returned home.

“Their patriotism doesn’t end when they return home, it continues every day,” Murphy said. “They are committed to service in the community when they return, whether it’s as police officers or just as good models in the community.”

For UConn senior and veteran Nathan Baxter, the ceremony was a great way to get veterans together.

“It’s a great day for all of us to come together and, once you see everyone again, you realize that you really miss them,” Baxter said.

Baxter spent 11 months in Afghanistan and four months in Kuwait. “It’s important that people know that everyone overseas misses their families and is still thinking about them,” Baxter said. “And that it’s really a brotherhood.”

UConn junior Anna Neu-pert attended the ceremony because she has had a lot of family members who have served over the years.

“My dad is a tech chief for Chinook helicopters, so I was glad they had something to go to on campus,” Neupert said.

“Veterans Day has been neglected in the past and I don’t think you can show enough appreciation,” said UConn senior Joe Greenwald. “No matter how much appreciation you show, it will never be enough for their sacrifice.”

 

This article appears in our print edition and in our Chronicle e-edition (available at 4 p.m. weekdays, 8 a.m. Saturday) complete with all photos and special sections.

Click here to subscribe to the Chronicle E-edition

Click here to inquire about print subscriptions